The Shawnee Hills Art Council of Anna Arts Center and P.A.S.T. of Union County are co-sponsoring a Civil War Weekend in Anna, IL, February 7-9, 2014. A quick snapshot of the planned events include: Historical bus tour: “Lincoln’s Footsteps and Friends in Anna-Jonesboro”; exhibits which include guns and quilts; re-enactors and encampment; storytelling; and Civil War era food and music. So mark your calendars and plan on coming to Anna Arts Center for a journey back in time.
On Friday night, February 7, 2014, at 6 PM P.A.S.T. of Union County will host the Seventh Annual Lincoln Legacy Civil War Banquet and Fundraiser. Guest speaker is Dr. Frank Nickell, former History Department Chairman & also Founder and Director, Center for Regional History, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau Missouri. The dinner will be held at the Main St. Center, Anna. Call 618-833-8745 for reservations at $25 each. Please make reservations no later than Monday, February 3.
On Saturday, February 8, from 9:30AM until 5PM, the Anna Arts Center, 125 West Davie Street, Anna will be open for people to visit the exhibits, listen to guest speakers on the effects of the Civil War in Southern Illinois, and hear some Civil War era music. Also there will be children activities that will make learning about the Civil War interesting! It is all free from 9:30 AM to 5 PM.
The schedule for speakers is:
- 9:30AM “Grant and His Lieutenants: The War in the West.” Dr. Frank Nickell, former History Department Chairman & also Founder and Director, Center for Regional History, Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau Missouri.
- 10:45AM “The Political Climate of Southern Illinois in 1864” Darrell Dexter, historian, author, teacher.
- 11:45AM “Civil War Origins of the ‘Stars and Stripes’ Newspaper” James Mayo, Director, Stars and Stripes Museum, Bloomfield Missouri.
- 1:00 PM “Photographers of the Civil War” Charles Swedlund, Retired Professor of Photography, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale Illinois.
- 2:00 PM “Civil War Steamboats Built on the Lower Ohio River” Robert Swenson, Historical Preservation Consultant and recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Illinois State Historical Society.
- 3:00 PM “Southern Illinois Volunteers in the Atlanta Campaign of 1864” Glen Bishop, Civil War historian and lecturer.
- 4:00 PM “Caught in the Sweep of History: Egypt’s Soldiers in the Second Year of the Civil War” Mike Jones, Director, Gen. John A. Logan Museum, Murphysboro Illinois.
On Sunday, February 9, at 1PM there is a one-hour historical bus tour of “Lincoln’s Footsteps and Friends in Anna-Jonesboro”. The tour relegates the history and stories of Lincoln’s visit to Union County as well as visit a Civil War Era P.A.S.T. home. Call 618-833-8745 for reservations at $10 by Feb 3.
At 2PM, at the Anna Arts Center, the Anna-Jonesboro Rotary will present the Exhibit Contest Awards to the winners. Also, guests will have another opportunity to visit the exhibit contest entries. The Civil War Exhibit Contest, which is sponsored by Anna-Jonesboro Rotary Club, is FREE to enter. The exhibit contest may be done as a class project, a group of individuals or an individual. Anyone may enter the Exhibit Contest. You do not have to live in Union County. Simply choose, research and interpret a topic pertaining to the Civil War. The analysis and interpretation of your topic must be clear and evident to the viewer. The age categories are: 1st-2nd Graders, 3rd-4th Graders, 5th-6th Graders, 7th-8th Graders, 9th-12th Graders, and Adults. The awards for the various age categories for all entries judged to be excellent will receive a Blue Ribbon and $10. One Award of Merit may be given in each category when appropriate and the recipient will receive a rosette and $15.00. All entries must be delivered to the Anna Arts Center, 125 West Davie St, Anna, IL between 3-6 PM on Thursday, February 6 or sooner. For the specific rules and additional information, please contact Lee, phone 618-833-6525, cell 904-625-1109 or email: email@example.com.
Location/Information: The Anna Arts Center is located at 125 West Davie Street, Anna, IL. For more information on the weekend or you want to participate by doing an exhibit or a vendor, please contact: Lee Hackney, Coordinator, phone 618-833-6525, cell 904-625-1109 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.